Sunday, March 11, 2012

Rainy Days and Memories

I had hoped to get some more pictures taken today.  I wanted to try and capture the serenity I feel in watching God's little creatures at play.  It is 45 and raining. Some of the calves are still playing but I don't want to be out more than I have to.  Call me a wimp!!  Humidity eats into my bones anymore.  I never did like a "wet" cold after living in a dryer climate.  I think I will bake some bread and stay warm.
I was visiting with an old friend the other day and remembered the Double Diamond Ranch in North Dakota.  That is the ranch that I wrote about earlier. 
I have always laughed about believing in 6 degrees of separation. However, if you live in South Dakota there are only 2 degrees of separation. 
When we left the DD, we went to Belle Fourche, SD and I was working in Spearfish, SD.  I met a lady there that had horses and needed some started (initial training).  My ex-husband at that time was taking in horses.  The lady, her family, and I became good friends.  She told me many of her life stories and she had quite the life.  She began telling me about coming back from Tuscon, AZ ( a great memory for another time) and she had a job in Anchorage, Alaska.  She didn't have a lot of money, but had an idea.  Her job was to be the Equestrian Trainer for the wives at the Military Base.  She and her 16 year old son (the friend I was visiting with) decided to buy horses and ride from Billings, Mt to her new job.  They were to arrive in time for the Diamond Jubilee in Anchorage. While she was telling me this story, she mentions that she purchased Tennessee Walking Horses from the Double Diamond Ranch in Rhame, ND owned by Calvin Miller.  I couldn't believe what she had just said!!  What a small world.  She was one tough lady, having grown up on a Thoroughbred ranch near Broadus, MT. She definitely knew good horses and how to handle one.   I have so many good memories about her and the people of the DD Ranch who I am also friends with yet today.
I better stop or I would write  many pages of memories.
For now, thanks for stoppin by.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment